Recently, I was searching for a birthday gift idea for a friend when I came across this great deal on Groupon to rise the Wheel of Brisbane. Don't you just love it when great things just come up at the right time?
The Wheel of Brisbane has been a wonder of Brisbane since it was erected in 2008 at the north end of South Bank Parklands. Perfectly positioned, if you ask me. No matter where you go to in Brisbane, you can just about see it. We could even see it from Mount Coot-tha lookout.
South bank is seriously one of the best places to visit in Brisbane that you simply can't miss. There's something here for everyone.
Things To Do In The Area
- Streets Beach, super cool playgrounds and gardens in South Bank Parklands. See what's on in South Bank.
- QLD Art Gallery of Modern Art, QLD Library, QLD Museum and Sciencentre.
- Treasury Casino, City Botanical Gardens and Roma Street Parklands.
Getting to South Bank
If you're staying in the city there are many ways to get to South Bank that are quite affordable.
- Catch a train or bus straight to South Bank Station.
- Catch an UBER which can be the easiest, comfortable and most direct means of transport.
- Use the ferry service which can be an adventure for the kids. Jump off at South Bank Terminal and keep looking up to find the wheel.
So without further delay, here are some breathtaking photo's to make you book a ride on the Wheel of Brisbane during your visit.
Join our mail list and take that first step in creating your
dream family holiday.
It was unfortunate for us that at the time of our ride it started to shower but we still had such a great experience together.
The Gondola's are fully air-conditioned and very comfortable which makes the ride a whole lot better. We didn't feel any swaying which was a huge bonus for us with the small kids.
The ride took about 10 minutes and we went a full loop about 5-6 times with one long sit at the top, which was lovely. We loved the 360 degree view and the speed of the wheel was slow and quiet enough to allow you to take it all in.
Since our experience on the Wheel of Brisbane, I have found a whole new respect for the actual size and landscape of Brisbane and its city. Furthermore, I have learnt to always pack a pair of noise cancelling headphones with me due to the boys squealing with glee the whole way around.
I really hope that you put this experience at the top of your itinerary, when you plan to visit Brisbane.
Adults and Concessions/Pensions Prices: $14-$20 AUD.
Kids: 4yrs and above $14. Children 3 and under get free entry.
Book online you get 5% discount - Book here
Other service that are available:
- Sky Journey Memories - offering a specialised personal photographic storybook.
- VIP Gondola - Extended ride duration, leather seats, tinted windows and a choice of personally selected music. (what a romantic proposal or date idea)
- On Board Dining - Use of the wheel lounge area, an appetiser share platter, priority boarding and Private Gondola.
You will need to contact before hand to book and ask questions about these services as they need to be booked in advance. Phone: 07 3844 3464.
Plan Your Trip to Brisbane
When we travel, we have come to rely on a few trusted websites that save us money and time when booking accommodation, flights and car rental.
Here are our preferred booking sites for the following:
Cheapflights is a comparison website that searches millions of flights. Once you find your best deal, book directly through the airline (no extra fees).
For transport to and from the airport and various locations try using UBER. We use them all the time to go to and form the airport and around other cities.
Have you been to the Wheel of Brisbane? Tell me what you thought of it below.
Where else would you recommend to visit in and around Brisbane?